Statement of Economic Interest
The Virginia Conflict of Interest and Ethics Advisory Council was created by the General Assembly to encourage and facilitate compliance with the State and Local Government Conflict of Interests Act. The Act requires specific officers and employees of the Commonwealth to file written disclosure statements of their financial interests annually. This disclosure is referred to as the Statement of Economic Interest (SOEI).
The Governor's Executive Order #8 further defines the scope and covered positions required to file. The Division of Human Resources, along with Research, Procurement, and Legal review and update the university's list of covered positions annually.
In addition, employees covered by the State and Local Government Conflict of Interest Act must complete Conflict of Interest training every two years.
The state requires that covered employees complete the training and file the required disclosure prior to starting their appointment. The SOEI program coordinator will notify each new hire in a covered position. The email notification will provide links to the training, filing requirements, and frequently asked questions.
Covered employees are required to complete Conflict of Interest training when starting a covered position and every two years thereafter.
Once you log in, the training will start. You are required to view the training module in its entirety in order to satisfy the training requirement. The system will not credit your attendance if you fast forward through any portion of the training. Please email email@example.com if you have any issues viewing the training.
State Officer and Employee training is available here: https://ethicswebinar.dls.virginia.gov/.
Follow these steps:
- Complete registration form with First and Last Name, Email Address, Job Title, and Organization. Please register using your Virginia Tech email address. Please enter your organization as "Virginia Tech". Click "Register" to advance to the training module.
- The training video should start automatically and will run for approximately 60 minutes in Google Chrome, You must view the video all the way to the end, without fast forwarding through any content, in order to receive credit for completing the training. The system does not generate a certificate but will show a screen of completion; please create a full screen capture of the completion page along with the time and date in the right handle corner of your screen for your records.
- Training completion records are maintained by the Virginia Conflict of Interest and Ethics Advisory Council and can be requested through the SOEI coordinator by emailing the ethics council firstname.lastname@example.org.
All covered employees must complete the disclosure annually. The filing year covers financial information from Jan. 1 - Dec. 31 of the previous year. On Jan. 1, all covered employees will receive notification from the Virginia Conflict of Interest and Ethics Advisory Council giving instructions on how to file. The filing must be completed online before the close of business on Feb. 1. The state will fine late filers of $250.
SOEI Disclosure Portal: http://coi.dls.virginia.gov/
- SOEI training site
- Login to your Conflict of Interest Disclosure Portal
- Troubleshooting the Electronic Filing System FAQs
- Individual Filer User Guide
- Sample - State and Local Statement of Economic Interests
- Sample - Financial Disclosure Statement
- Guide to completing the State and Local Statement of Economic Interests
- State and Local Statement of Economic Interest FAQs
- Guide to completing the Financial Disclosure Statement
- Financial Disclosure Statement FAQs
- Virginia Conflict of Interest and Ethics Advisory Council
- Virginia Tech policy 13010 – Individual Conflict of Interest and Commitment – Section 3.3 Commonwealth of Virginia Disclosure and Training Requirement