Employee Relations provides a means by which employees and supervisors can share private, personal, and work-related information while receiving guidance that will help build collaboration and meet their performance goals.
Employee Relations consultants encourage employment partnerships and are available to advise as appropriate, provide information, and make referrals to resources on and off campus. The team can provide assistance with employment policies, disciplinary standards, grievances, performance management, remote work challenges, separation consultations, workplace expectations, workplace conflict, or personal issues affecting your job, among other things.
Employee Relations Support Areas:
The Employee Relations team is committed to supporting employees with answers to their questions and working together toward viable solutions. Review the confidentiality statement and values below.
Employee Relations Values
- We value accountability on the part of all employees, and believe that accountability is best achieved through mutual understanding of responsibilities and the commitment to execute.
- We value actions and decisions that are based on a full understanding of the facts that are presented.
- We value the perspectives and interests of the employee, supervisor, and manager on employee relations issues, but we advocate for what is in the best interest of the organization.
- We value supporting the institution in accomplishing its mission and objectives through high-quality, timely service.
- We value an employee’s honest input, even if that input identifies significant deficiencies in the organization and the presentation of that input without fear of retaliation.
- We value the professional, respectful, and fair treatment of each employee regardless of circumstances.
- We value compliance with employment laws, but our actions are not driven by fear of the legal environment.
- We value early intervention by supervisors when employee concerns are identified.
- We value diversity in the workplace, while also valuing consistency of treatment for similar situations.
- Unless an offense requires immediate dismissal, we value a reasonable, fair opportunity for performance improvement.
Employee Relations provides a means by which employees and managers can share private, personal, and sensitive work-related information in order to get help and advice. Employee Relations is available to provide guidance and will keep information received in consultation with employees and managers confidential to the extent requested and allowed by law.
When information is shared with an Employee Relations member that indicates a person or property is in danger, harassment/discrimination has occurred, or a serious violation of Virginia Tech or Commonwealth of Virginia policies has occurred, Employee Relations will communicate with the appropriate person or office as required by law.
Discretion will be used by Employee Relations in communicating sensitive information. Individuals receiving the information will be urged to use discretion in order to protect the person who reported the situation to the extent possible.
Retaliation against any person who reports a situation that is then referred for investigation is prohibited and will not be tolerated. Acts of retaliation should be reported to Employee Relations immediately.
Division of Human Resources
North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318)
300 Turner Street NW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Director, Employee Relations
Employee Relations Consultant
Employee Relations Consultant