Staff Role Changes
A role change occurs when a job changes significantly enough to warrant re-classifying the job into a completely different career group. More information on the classification process, including information on the defined career groups identified by the Commonwealth of Virginia, is available.
Types of Role Changes
- Movement to another career group in a higher pay band. Departments can request a salary increase in-line with new role.
- Movement to another career group in a lower pay band. No salary increase allowed. If salary is above the maximum of the lower (new) pay band, pay must be reduced after six months to fit within new pay band.
- Movement to another career group in the same pay band. Departments can request a salary increase in-line with new role.
- Roles changes are separate from in-band adjustments and thus do not count toward the fiscal year maximum for in-bands.
- The effective date must be at the beginning of a pay period (10th or 25th of a month).
- An updated and approved position description, job card, and offer card in PageUp is required for all role changes.
- All role change requests must be approved by senior management areas and the assigned compensation delegate. Departments should keep in mind that what may appear justified when looking at only one department or organization could create issues when considered alongside other similarly situated positions across senior management areas or in other areas across the university.