2022 Annual Open Enrollment for Health Benefits and Flexible Spending Accounts
NOTE: If you received an email from noreply.HRPRD4@doa.virginia.gov on the evening of May 10, this email was generated in error and can be disregarded.
During open enrollment, Virginia Tech employees who are eligible for benefits are given the opportunity to enroll in a health plan and/or a flexible spending account, change health plans, add or remove dependents, or waive state health coverage. Employees who have insurance and/or a flexible spending account/s will see a change to their deductions beginning with their July 16 paycheck (which reflects the June 25-July 9 pay period).
Employees are strongly encouraged to submit open enrollment changes through Cardinal Employee Self Service (ESS), DHRM’s electronic submission portal. Changes must be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. on May 16. For more information read the campus notice about the new system. Instructions and help can be found here.
If you have questions or need help creating a Cardinal account, please contact the HR Service Center at 540-231-9331 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Enrollment Highlights
Following are highlights of open enrollment changes for the 2022-23 plan year:
- Employee premiums have changed. See the Spotlight on Your Benefits newsletter for 2022-23 premiums. View current plan year, 2021-22, premiums here.
- COVA Care and COVA HDHP: Diabetics may purchase continuous glucose monitors (CGMs) ONLY at pharmacies. They will no longer be provided under the durable medical equipment (DME) benefit for these plans.
- COVA Care and COVA HealthAware: Submit a health assessment during Open Enrollment (May 2 -16, 2022) to earn a monthly premium incentive effective July 1, 2022.
- COVA Care, COVA HDHP and COVA HealthAware: The Healthy Smile Healthy You program will offer an additional dental cleaning and exam beyond the annual limit for patients with cancer, a weakened immune system, kidney disease, or undergoing kidney dialysis.
- Health Flexible Spending Account (FSA): The contribution maximum increases: You can put aside up to $2,850 in the 2022-23 plan year.
Not sure which health plan is the best for you?
Talk to ALEX, an online benefits tool that evaluates your input and recommends a plan tailored just for you. Consult ALEX, your online benefits counselor for recommendations on a plan that is tailored to your needs. On your smartphone, use ALEX-GO.
For additional information on these changes and other open enrollment information, review this year’s Spotlight on Your Benefits.
Summary of health benefits and coverage as of July 1, 2022:
By participating in the Premium Rewards Program, an employee and their enrolled spouse can save $17 (employee or spouse) or $34 (employee and spouse) per month on insurance premiums, $204 or $408 annually, by simply completing or updating your online health assessment.
Employees and their enrolled spouse can sign up for this program at any time during the year, but why wait? To earn a reward beginning July 1, 2022, simply visit your plan's website or mobile app to access your health assessment between May 2 and May 16, 2022.
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
NOTE: Due to an error in the Cardinal system, pay periods for Virginia Tech are appearing as monthly instead of semi-monthly, resulting in pay period FSA amounts calculating incorrectly. Be assured that the actual FSA amount withheld from your paycheck will be based on the annual amount you designate and the per pay period amount withheld will be calculated using 24 pay periods instead of 12. We are working with the Cardinal project team to correct the pay period designation. We appreciate your patience. No action is required on your part.
PayFlex is the vendor for Health and Dependent Care FSAs. Enrolling in one or both of these FSAs allow you to contribute money through payroll deduction before federal and state taxes are calculated, creating a cost savings. A monthly administration fee of $2.10 is deducted from your paycheck.
Check out the FSA Sourcebook to learn more about this benefit including plan year contribution limits, qualifying expenses, PayFlex Master card and much more.
Open Enrollment Reminders
- Premium and plan benefits may change subject to final state budget approval.
- Participants must complete a health assessment with their current plan administrator. This includes employees who requested a plan change during Open Enrollment from one eligible premium reward plan to the other. OHB will apply the premium reward for July 1 based on their new enrollment.
- You are not required to enroll in a dependent care flexible spending account (DCFSA) for open enrollment. If you have a change in dependent care costs, you are allowed to make a corresponding change within 60 calendar days. For example, if you enroll your child in dependent care in the fall, you may enroll in the DSFSA at that time. Please plan accordingly.
- All elections, including plan changes and enrollment in Flexible Spending Accounts, are due no later than May 16, 2022. Paper enrollment forms must be submitted or post marked no later than May 16, 2022 and elections through the Cardinal system must be completed and submitted by 11:59 p.m on May 16, 2022. There are no extensions to Open Enrollment actions.
- We encourage all faculty and staff to review their address and update it, if necessary. To update your address, log in to Hokie Spa, select the Hokie Spa tab, then select Personal Information to make updates.
Important Health Care Notices
Next opportunity to make benefit changes
The next opportunity employees will have to make changes to their health insurance (without a qualifying event) will be in May 2023 during the next open enrollment period. The exact dates of open enrollment are determined by the state and are typically announced in mid-April each year.
Submitting your Open Enrollment changes
- Online: Cardinal log in page
- Cardinal Employee Self-Service Quick Guide
- Division of HR Secure E-Drop Box
- Email: email@example.com
- By dedicated fax: (540) 231-6479
NOTE: Do not include Social Security numbers on emailed or faxed forms. As an alternate identifier, include the last four digits of your nine-digit Virginia Tech ID number.
Plan Year 2022-23 Enrollment Forms