The Department of Human Resources provides services that support the university’s leadership and employees, enabling them to achieve their goals and the mission of Virginia Tech. The department is committed to promoting excellence, equity, diversity, and access, and to supporting a high quality of work life for all employees.
Through the collaborative relationships that are established with university and community offices, the department strives to foster a supportive, welcoming, and safe community.
The Department of Human Resources is comprised of several areas, including Benefits, HR Support Services, Staffing and Recruitment, Compensation and Performance Management, Employee Relations, and Hokie Wellness.
Our service promise
The Virginia Tech Department of Human Resources is dedicated to cultivating a culture of excellence and mutual respect.
We are committed to:
- Listening carefully in order to understand your situation and needs
- Responding promptly and efficiently
- Providing clear, accurate, and timely information
- Respecting your privacy
- Following through on our commitments
- Seeking the best possible outcome
- Treating all with courtesy and respect, affirming the Virginia Tech Principles of Community
- Responding to inquiries, including calls or emails, within one business day
- Greeting customers in a genuine, welcoming manner
- Answering phones promptly, within three rings if possible
- Identifying oneself when placing or answering a phone call
- Taking the time to be sure that a referral is correct before referring a client, that is, limiting a caller’s contact to “two touches” of Human Resources staff
- Adhering to departmental privacy policies
- Creating signature blocks that contain only business-related information
- Keeping voicemail and email boxes open and available