Whether you are new employee, new manager or supervisor, or looking to improve software or other skills, Human Resources' Professional Development team offers a variety of ongoing professional development courses to help employees claim their role at Virginia Tech. Our courses provide highly engaging opportunities for employees to enhance workplace skills and strengthen operational knowledge.
Courses are available to all employees via open registration on a first come, first registered basis and are held on campus during normal work hours. Participants must obtain approval from their supervisors to attend during their regular work schedule.
If courses are full, employees are placed on a waiting list to be informed should a seat become available. If you must cancel after registering for a course, please review our payment and cancellation policy.
We offer workshops in several development categories including:
- Administrative support skills: These courses are recommended for any employee whose primary responsibilities support the work of others.
- Leadership skills: These courses are recommended for employees in senior level academic or administrative roles; for those charged with formulating strategic goals and inspiring others to meet organizational aims.
- Managerial or supervisory skills: These courses are recommended for employees in roles involving the direct management, supervision, or oversight of other employees; for those charged with operational management, goal setting, coaching, and or performance management responsibilities.
- Professional or individual contributor skills: These courses are recommended for employees who contributes to the university’s success through individual expertise, team or project participation, but may not have direct reports.
- Office software skills: Courses offer basic, intermediate, and advanced desktop application courses in Microsoft Access, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
We also offer a number of certificate programs that allow employees to thoroughly explore the depth and bread of a particular subject area.
Notice: New development in Talent Development!
Talent Development is in the process of creating new and exciting programs to improve your performance and advance your career. Beginning in the spring semester, the certificate programs APDP, Customer Service Excellence, Leadership Excellence and Supervisory Excellence will be replaced by more comprehensive programs that you will be hearing about in coming months. The Software Skills program will continue to be offered to faculty and staff.
If you are currently pursuing a certificate that will no longer be offered in the spring, please review your current transcript and take any courses in the fall schedule that will result in certificate completion. If there are no courses that will complete your requirements we will accept LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) courses as substitutes. In order to support your achievement, we will also accept previous courses you have taken as substitutes for similar courses that may not be available.
We are looking forward to offering more programs and career paths to meet your needs for skills that address your success. If you have any questions, please contact Kristen Mills at email@example.com.