Welcome to Virginia Tech! You are joining an elite group of the best and brightest employees in the nation. Each year, the university receives more than 50,000 job applications for about 2,250 positions. It is indeed an honor to be part of the Hokie Nation and we hope you'll be proud to tell others that you work at one of the top 25 public research universities in the United States. Our 13,000 full and part-time employees hail from more than 100 countries.
New Employee Orientation
Once you have signed your offer letter and established a start date, a representative from your new department will contact you to schedule your orientation. During orientation, you'll have the opportunity to learn about what it means to live, learn, and work at Virginia Tech. You will also learn about Virginia Tech's extensive benefits package and we'll help you navigate through all of the paperwork (and decisions) that come with any new job. Light snacks and beverages will be provided, and you'll have a lunch break from about 12-1 p.m.
- When: Faculty and staff sessions are held from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wage employees may attend parts of orientation with approval from the Orientation Coordinator.
- Where: Orientation is held at the North End Center, 300 Turner Street NW, Blacksburg, Virginia, in the National Capital Region room (2420/2430). If the location changes, employees will be notified of the new location.
- What to bring: Prior to coming to orientation, please review this list to see what you'll need to do ahead of time, and what you'll need to bring with you. The list also provides useful information about your first few days, weeks, and months at Virginia Tech.
- Parking: Parking is available in the adjacent parking garage. Parking is free if you have a faculty/staff parking permit or New Employee 30-day pass. Anyone without a valid permit will be required to pay $5 to park. All orientation attendees must park on the third floor (P3) or above. If you would like to purchase a parking permit before orientation, contact Parking and Transportation.
What if I can't attend?
While we strongly encourage all employees to attend orientation, we understand that attendance may be harder for employees who work at one of our extended campus locations, to do so. If you can not attend orientation, we will mail you a packet of information and encourage you to spend some time looking through our employee orientation website. We know you'll have questions and we hope you'll call and talk with a representative in the HR Service Center to get the one-on-one assistance you need. You'll find a list on the orientation website that provides useful information about your first few days, weeks, and months at Virginia Tech.
2018 orientation dates
- Wednesday, June 20
- Wednesday, June 27
- Wednesday, July 11
- Wednesday, July 18
- Friday, July 20 (Faculty Only)
- Wednesday, July 25
- Friday, July 27 (Faculty Only)
- Wednesday, August 1
- Friday, August 3 (Faculty Only)
- Tuesday, August 7
- Thursday, August 9 (Faculty Only)
- Wednesday, August 15
- Friday, August 17 (Faculty Only)
- Tuesday, August 21
- Thursday, August 23 (Faculty Only)
- Wednesday, August 29
- Thursday, September 6
- Wednesday, September 12
- Wednesday, September 26
- Wednesday, October 10
- Wednesday, October 24
- Wednesday, November 7
- Wednesday, November 14
- Wednesday, November 28
- Wednesday, December 12
- Wednesday, December 19