Employee Relations provides a place where both employees and supervisors can share personal and work-related information in order to get help or advice that will help them meet their performance goals. The unit strives to encourage employment partnerships between employees and management. The Employee Relations team is available to advise as appropriate, provide information, and make referrals to resources on and off campus.
Virginia Tech and the Commonwealth of Virginia have outlined expectations for all state employees through DHRM Policy 1.60: Standards of Conduct. The university has outlined the expectations of faculty and staff employees and supervisors in university policies and handbooks. A general overview of expectations for employees and managers is also available.
The Employee Relations team is a resource for employees and supervisors who would like confidential assistance dealing with work-related issues. Our staff is here to help find an answer and work towards a solution.
- Review the Employee Relations Confidentiality Statement.
- Best practices for effectively managing your team
When to contact Employee Relations
Call or click Request Assistance if you would like to speak to Employee Relations regarding:
- Employee separations
- Employment policies
- Expectations of employees and managers
- Management consultations
- Performance management
- Probationary employees
- Progressive discipline
- Letter templates
- Counseling Memorandum on Performance
- Counseling Memorandum on Behavior
- Notice Of Improvement Needed Unsatisfactory Performance
- Letter Placing an Employee on Leave for Administrative/Civil and Work-Related Leave Pending Internal Investigation
- Pre-Disciplinary Leave Letter Pending Standards of Conduct Investigation
- Due Process Letter (After Investigation)
- Due Process Letter (No Investigation)
- Written Notice
- Resignation Acceptance Letter
- Guidelines for Terminating Employment Safely and Effectively
- Letter Terminating Probationary Employment
- Letter Terminating Wage Employment
- Letter templates
- Work-life stress
- Workplace conflict
- Any other workplace situation