MicroStrategy is a business intelligence tool that allows users to view and analyze volumes of complex data from multiple perspectives. Virginia Tech has implemented MicroStrategy for Human Resources data analysis and reporting needs of the University.
The Division of Human Resources is in the process of establishing a HR Reporting Menu to aid departmental users reporting needs.
MicroStrategy accesses data directly from the Banner HR data warehouse. The reports you run in MicroStrategy will reflect Banner information as of the prior day. The data you view is based on your security access in Banner. The options and functionality you can perform in MicroStrategy are determined by your assigned user role.
Human Resources Reporting Consumer:
- Runs standard web reports using the Microstrategy HR Reporting Menu
- Can export documents to PDF and run the underlying report (data set) and export to Excel
- Can save copies of standard reports to a personal folder
- Can subscribe to documents to run automatically
Human Resources Reporting Analyst:
- All the same permissions as the HR Reporting Consumer
- In addition:
- Can create ad hoc reports and other MicroStrategy objects such as documents, dashboards, filters, prompts, and metrics
- Can share ad hoc reports with other Analysts and can run objects that other Analysts have created and shared
How to get access depends on the role you will have in MicroStrategy as described above.
Access for Human Resources Reporting Consumers will be automatically granted to all VT employees who are assigned Banner HR access. Individuals who wish to be upgraded to the Human Resources Reporting Analyst Role should submit a ticket via Team Dynamix.
Training for Human Resources Reporting Consumers and HR Report Analysts is available as follows:
- MicroStrategy for Human Resources Analysis
- This training is intended for department HR analysts and business managers who perform data analysis with Human Resources data in the Banner data warehouse.
- Users who are interested in Microstrategy training should submit a request through Team Dynamix.