The performance planning component of performance management at Virginia Tech is an essential foundation of the overall program. Performance planning sets the stage for individual career success as well as organizational success.
- Planning refers to setting performance expectations and goals for individuals to channel their efforts toward achieving departmental and/or organizational objectives.
- Employees at all levels are responsible for actively communicating with their supervisors about their performance.
- Supervisors are responsible for:
- Developing performance goals and objectives along with input from employees.
- Communicating throughout the performance management cycle about employees’ performance on goals, responsibilities, competencies and career development activities.
- Ensuring that employees have the tools, resources, and training and development needed to carry out their responsibilities successfully.
Online Performance Management Tool
All performance management plans should be created using the online performance management tool, which is available through Hokie SPA. After logging into Hokie SPA, click Hokie Team and then Performance Planning and Evaluation Tool. Users have the option to create or edit a performance plan or evaluation or update their plan and evaluation status.
Several tutorials and narrated presentations have been prepared to guide users through the system and process.
- Performance Management: an introduction
- Performance Planning: Using the system
- Performance Planning training
- Instructions for writing a Position Description
- Competency library/bank
Customized on-site training is available. For more information contact Kirk Wehner, director of compensation and performance management at, at 540-231-7775 or Christine Luketic, senior compensation analyst, at 540-231-8892.