Performance management is an ongoing process that provides feedback, accountability, and documentation for performance outcomes to ensure that employees, teams, and departments are meeting strategic organizational goals. Our performance management system fosters ongoing two-way communication between employees and supervisors; supports the development of clear, consistent, and measurable goals linked directly to Virginia Tech's core values; articulate and supports training needs and career development; and establishes the criteria for making reward and recognition decisions.
2020-2021 Evaluation Year
- Review Period: October 16, 2020 – October 15, 2021
- Submission Period: August 5, 2021 – October 15, 2021
Effective performance management begins with mutual respect and ends with performance excellence. It is the responsibility of supervisors to communicate on an ongoing basis with their employees. These conversations should be grounded in honest communication and provide staff with clear role expectations, feedback, identify performance improvement, development opportunities, and career possibilities. Each employee has a responsibility to participate fully in these conversations, understand their role responsibilities and expectations, and communicate any obstacles or training needs to perform their role at an optimum level.
Performance management should be happening all year long and culminates with a summary review assessment that should bring closure to the performance period and provide a basis for performance management for the next period.
Submit the completed Probationary Progress Review form (P125) for staff employees in a probationary status ending between July 1 and October 15. Those whose probationary period ended on or before June 30 and have an approved 2021 performance plan should follow through with the annual performance evaluation submitted in the Online Performance Planning and Evaluation Tool. The P125, training guides, and other resources are available at the bottom of this page.
Online Staff Evaluation Tool
For more information about the Performance Planning and Evaluation Tool, see available step-by-step instructions in the Tips, Tools, and Training section below.
- Employee completes the Self-Evaluation.
- Supervisor prepares an evaluation on employee, sends to the reviewer.
- Reviewer approves the evaluation, releasing it back to the supervisor.
- Supervisor returns evaluation to employee, schedules a meeting to discuss.
- Employee adds commentary and signs-off. Supervisor signs-off.
Virginia Tech uses an electronic faculty activity data system (EFARS) to collect and manage information about research and scholarship, creative works, teaching, extension, outreach, and service activities. This system automates the production of annual faculty activity reports, promotion and tenure dossiers, and CVs, as well as department, college, and university level reports.
Each college is responsible for managing their own faculty performance evaluation process. Faculty should contact their Dean’s office for specifics regarding their college’s process and schedule. For more information on EFARS, visit the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost’s website.
Tools, Tips, and Guides
- Performance Evaluation Frequently Asked Questions
- Flowchart for the performance plan and evaluation process
- User guides about Performance Management
- Performance Review Fundamentals by Todd Dewett
- Getting Ready for Your Evaluation Guidebook
- Supervisor’s Guide to Giving an Evaluation Guidebook
- Sample A/P Faculty Activity Report Template