Performance management is an ongoing process that provides feedback, accountability, and documentation for performance outcomes to ensure that employees, teams, and departments are meeting strategic organizational goals. Performance management is that step further from a simple annual review. It requires both employee and manager buy-in to be effective. An effective performance management practice ensures that an employee receives regular, valuable feedback to assist in the pursuit of furthering career goals and supporting the university.
2019-2020 Evaluation Year
- Review Period: October 16, 2019 – October 15, 2020
- Submission Period: August 5, 2019 – November 15, 2020
Supervisors are required to provide each Classified and University Staff employee a formal performance evaluation at least once a year. Evaluations are a mechanism to provide feedback and documentation about an employee’s performance through a defined time period, to provide clear communication of job expectations and goals, and to formally recognize staff contributions to VT. Performance evaluations may also serve as a constructive means to assist with mentoring on areas of improvement and professional growth.
Submit the completed Probationary Progress Review form (P125) for staff employees in a probationary status ending between July 1 and October 15. Those whose probationary period ended on or before June 30 and have an approved 2020 performance plan should follow through with the annual performance evaluation submitted in the Online Performance Planning and Evaluation Tool. The P125, training guides, and other resources are available at the bottom of this page.
Online Staff Evaluations
For more information about the Performance Planning and Evaluation Tool, see available step-by-step Instructions and tutorial videos the Tips, Tools, and Training section below.
- Employee completes the Self-Evaluation. (by August 5, 2020)
- Supervisor prepares an evaluation on employee, sends to the reviewer.
- Reviewer approves the evaluation, releasing it back to the supervisor.
- Supervisor returns evaluation to employee, schedules a meeting to discuss.
- Employee adds commentary and signs-off. Supervisor signs-off. (by November 15, 2020)
Virginia Tech uses an electronic faculty activity data system (EFARS) to collect and manage information about research and scholarship, creative works, teaching, extension, outreach, and service activities. This system automates the production of annual faculty activity reports, promotion and tenure dossiers, and CVs, as well as department, college, and university level reports.
Each college is responsible for managing their own faculty performance evaluation process. Faculty should contact their Dean’s office for specifics regarding their college’s process and schedule. For more information on EFARS, visit the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost’s website.
Tools, Tips, and Guides
- Performance Evaluation Frequently Asked Questions
- Performance Management: an introduction
- Performance Management: using the online system
- Flowchart for the performance plan and evaluation process
- User guides about Performance Management
- Performance Review Fundamentals by Todd Dewett (New)
(View the entire training by logging into the VT portal and accessing Lynda.com)
- Getting Ready for Your Evaluation Guidebook (New)
- Supervisor’s Guide to Giving an Evaluation Guidebook (New)
- Sample A/P Faculty Activity Report Template