A role change occurs when a job changes significantly enough to warrant re-classifying the job into a completely different career group. More information on the classification process, including information on the defined career groups identified by the Commonwealth of Virginia, is available.
Types of Role Changes
- Movement to another career group in a higher pay band. Departments can request 0- 10 percent salary increase. An exception can be granted to the 10 percent rule in situations which require an increase greater than this to reach the minimum of the new pay band.
- Movement to another career group in a lower pay band. No salary increase allowed. If salary is above the maximum of the lower (new) pay band, pay must be reduced after six months to fit within new pay band.
- Movement to another career group in the same pay band. Departments can request 0-10 percent salary increase.
- Salary increases for role changes are limited to a maximum of 10 percent.
- They are separate from in-band adjustments and thus do not count toward the fiscal year maximum for in-bands.
- The effective date must be at the beginning of a pay period (10th or 25th of a month).
- A completed and approved Pay Action Request form (P144) is required for all role changes.
- All role change requests must be approved by senior management areas and the compensation management team. Departments should keep in mind that what may appear justified when looking at only one department or organization could create issues when considered alongside other similarly situated positions across senior management areas or in other areas across the university.
- An updated position description is required and can be completed and submitted for approval electronically using the position description module within PeopleAdmin.