2020 Health and Flexible Spending Account Open Enrollment
During open enrollment, Virginia Tech employees who are eligible for benefits are given the opportunity to enroll in a health plan and/or a flexible spending account, change health plans, add or remove dependents, or waive state health coverage. Employees who have insurance and/or a flexible spending account/s will see a change to their deductions beginning with their July 16 paycheck (which reflects the June 25-July 9 pay period).
Open Enrollment Highlights
Following are highlights of open enrollment changes for the 2020-21 plan year:
- Employee premiums will change for all plans. See the "Spotlight on Your Benefits" newsletter for 2020-21 premiums. To see the 2019-20 premiums, click here.
- Age limits removed for autism spectrum disorder and related treatments and services.
- Health FSA limit increased: You may contribute up to $2,750, an increase of $50 from the current maximum.
- An online portal (Employee Direct) is available for employees to enroll (or reenroll) in FSA plans and enroll in a Health Insurance plan (or make changes). NOTE the employee ID number is the Member Number from the Health Insurance Card (use only the numbers, drop the alpha characters). If you do not know (or have access to) your ID Number, use your Social Security Number to retrieve or contact the HR Service Center.
For additional information on these changes and other open enrollment information, review this year’s “Spotlight on Your Benefits.”
Summary of health benefits and coverage as of July 1, 2020 are available below:
By participating in the Premium Rewards Program, employees can save $17 for employee only or $34 for employee and spouse per month on insurance premiums. Employees can sign up for this program at any time and do not have to wait until open enrollment. Frequently asked questions are available and you can learn more here. Current partipicants may click here for this year's premium reward requirements.
Flexible Spending Account
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) must be renewed each year and allow employees to set aside money each pay period that can be used throughout the plan year (July 1–June 30) to pre-fund anticipated, eligible medical services, medical supplies, and dependent care expenses normally not covered by insurance. The funds are deducted from paychecks before federal and state taxes are calculated, creating a cost savings for employees. FSAs are administered by PayFlex. The company charges a $2.10 per month administrative fee per employee. Learn more here.
New this year: Making open enrollment changes
NEW!Health Assessment Deadline Extended for Premium Rewards
In an effort to advance employee wellness and also maximize employee savings, we are pleased to announce that COVA Care and COVA HealthAware members will have until May 29 to complete a health assessment in order to receive a Premium Reward beginning July 1.
Participants must complete a health assessment with their current plan administrator. This includes employees who requested a plan change during Open Enrollment from one eligible premium reward plan to the other. OHB will apply the premium reward for July 1 based on their new enrollment.
Also, a reminder that employees and their enrolled spouse must register with a separate account to submit a health assessment.
There is no extension to Open Enrollment actions. All elections, including plan changes and enrollment in Flexible Spending Accounts, are due today, May 15, 2020. Paper enrollment forms must be postmarked or submitted today. Elections done on EmployeeDirect must be completed by 11:59 p.m.
We are excited to announce this year employees will have the option to review health benefits records and make open enrollment elections for health benefits and flexible spending accounts through Health Benefits Direct. Click here for instructions. NOTE the employee ID number is the Member Number from the Health Insurance Card (use only the numbers, drop the alpha characters). If you do not know (or have access to) your ID Number, use your Social Security Number to retrieve or contact the HR Service Center.
Important Health Care Notices
Next opportunity to make benefit changes
The next opportunity employees will have to make changes to their health insurance (without a qualifying event) will be in May 2021 during the next open enrollment period. The exact dates of open enrollment are determined by the state and are typically announced in mid-April each year.
- Having trouble accesing health assessment? Click here
- Open Enrollment 2020 Slides
- OE Recording
- "Spotlight on Your Benefits" newsletter
- DHRM 2020-21 Health and FSA enrollment form
- Open Enrollment information session schedule and frequently asked questions
- 2020-21 FSA Sourcebook
- 2020-21 Premium Rewards requirement
- DHRM 2020-21 retiree benefits enrollment form
How to submit open enrollment changes
- Online: Health Benefits Direct. See instructions for Health Benefits Direct
- Division of HR Secure E-Drop Box
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By dedicated fax: (540) 231-6479.
NOTE: Do not include Social Security numbers on emailed or faxed forms. As an alternate identifier, include the last four digits of your nine-digit Virginia Tech ID number.