All employees are expected to adhere to the Virginia Tech Principles of Community at all times. Specifically, all employees of Virginia Tech, regardless of role, are expected to:
- Treat others with dignity and respect at all times.
- Conduct themselves in an ethical manner at all times.
- Support the mission and values of the university.
- Comply with departmental, university, and Commonwealth of Virginia expectations, policies, and procedures.
- If management, adhere to management responsibilities.
In addition, Commonwealth of Virginia Policy 1.60: Standards of Conduct identifies the following minimum expectations of acceptable workplace behavior and performance.
Employees are expected to:
- Report to work as scheduled and seek approval from their supervisors in advance for any changes to the established work schedule, including the use of leave and late or early arrivals and departures. Review the attendance policy.
- Perform assigned duties and responsibilities with the highest degree of public trust.
- Devote full effort to job responsibilities during work hours.
- Maintain the qualifications, certification, licensure, and/or training requirements identified for their positions.
- Demonstrate respect for Virginia Tech and toward coworkers, supervisors, managers, subordinates, students, and customers.
- Use state equipment, time, and resources judiciously and as authorized.
- Support efforts that ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
- Utilize leave and related employee benefits in the manner for which they were intended.
- Resolve work-related issues and disputes in a professional manner and through established business processes.
- Meet or exceed established job performance expectations.
- Make work-related decisions and/or take actions that are in the best interest of the Virginia Tech.
- Comply with the letter and spirit of all state and agency policies and procedures, the Conflict of Interest Act, and commonwealth laws and regulations.
- Report circumstances or concerns that may affect satisfactory work performance to management, including any inappropriate (fraudulent, illegal, unethical) activities of other employees.
- Obtain approval from supervisor prior to accepting outside employment.
- Obtain approval from supervisor prior to working overtime, if non-exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Work cooperatively to achieve work unit and Virginia Tech goals and objectives.
- Conduct themselves at all times in a manner that supports the mission of Virginia Tech and the performance of their duties.
- Adhere to the Virginia Tech Statement of Business Conduct Standards.
In addition to the behavioral expectations identified above, management is responsible for and retains the authority to manage and direct the size of the workforce, the work environment, work assignments, work hours, promotions, demotions, transfers, dismissals, and all other personnel actions.
Managers are expected to:
Department of Human Resources
North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318)
300 Turner Street NW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Employee Relations Specialist
Director, Employee Relations