University Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Services is here to assist you in making your experience at Virginia Tech accessible. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University is committed to ensuring equal access in education and employment.
University ADA Services works closely with the Office for Diversity and Inclusion, Services for Students with Disabilities, and other units to ensure equal opportunity for people with disabilities in employment, education, and programming. University ADA Services offers equal access through:
- Individualized accommodation for employees with a documented disability
- Consultations with supervisors to assist in the accommodation process
- Physical and programmatic access
- Education and training for all departments and employees on ADA disability issues
- Review of policies and procedures to ensure non-discrimination practices
- Outreach Programs
Who is covered?
The ADA covers physical or mental conditions that limit a major life activity (sleeping, concentration, walking, sitting, eating, learning, etc).
- Sue has depression: She has had trouble sleeping.
- Lonnie has post traumatic stress disorder; she cannot concentrate.
- Joanie has arthritis and is having difficulty walking and sitting for long periods of time.
- Applicant: Bill is an applicant with a learning disability and cannot access the online application.
- Visitor: Joe uses a wheelchair and will need accessible parking and seating for football games.
Each of these may qualify for accommodation from the ADA office.