All regular and restricted part-time salaried faculty and staff (20-31 hours) staff employees are eligible to participate in the health insurance plans with no state contribution toward the premium.
You are eligible for coverage if you are a part-or full-time, salaried, classified employee; or a regular, full-time or part-time salaried faculty. Your eligible dependents also may be covered. Retirees, longterm disability participants, and survivors may also be eligible for coverage.
You may choose your type of membership as follows:
- Employee/retiree single – to cover yourself only
- Employee/retiree plus one – to cover yourself and one eligible dependent
- Family – to cover yourself and two or more eligible dependent
More information about eligibility is available.
Health Plans Offered
The 2013 Benefits At A Glance document produced by the Virginia Department of Human Resource Management provides a snapshot of key features of the different health plans listed below.
- COVA Care Basic is available everywhere in the state. The plan administered by Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. The COVA Care Basic plan offers buy-up options to enhance the coverage provided under the basic plan. COVA Care is also available to Virginia Tech employees who live outside of the state of Virginia and outside the United States.
- COVA High Deductible Health Plan is another statewide health insurance plan administered by Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield.
- COVA HealthAware is available everywhere in the state. The plan is administered by Aetna. The COVA HealthAware basic plan offers buy-up options to enhance the coverage provided under the basic plan. A Health Savings Account (HSA) is provided to participants and enrolled spouses by DHRM to assist with a portion of the high deductible of this plan.
- Tricare Supplement Plan is administered by ASI & Tricare Supplement is available only to Tricare eligible employees.
Northern Virginia employees
- Kaiser Permanente is available to eligible employees living and/or working in the Northern Virginia area only.
COVA Care/COVA HealthAware and Kaiser Permanente Premiums
COBRA Premiums 2013 - monthly health insurance premiums for full-time, part-time and COBRA participants
Enrollment and Changes
To enroll or make a change to your health insurance, employees must fill out the
State Active Enrollment Form (PDF | 96KB)
Employees may use EmployeeDirect
to review and make certain changes to their health insurance and/or flexible reimbursement plans. You must have your state-assigned BES (Benefits Eligibility System) identification number (not
your Virginia Tech identification number), which is located on your health insurance identification card is required to use EmployeeDirect
. If you need help getting your BES identification number, call the HR Service Center at 540-231-9331.
Pre-existing conditions are covered under your health plan. You do not have to satisfy a waiting period before services for pre-existing conditions are covered.
Coordination of Benefits
Coordination of benefits (COB) rules apply when you or members of your family have additional health care coverage. You will receive and be required to complete an annual COB questionnaire. Claims payment will be withheld until the completed questionnaire is received.
Prescription Drug Program