We provide a positive Human Resources service experience for applicants, employees, and retirees and collaborate with departments to recruit, develop, support, and retain diverse and talented employees who are the key to Virginia Tech’s reputation and success.
Deliver Human Resources programs and services with such quality and expertise that our community gains a competitive advantage from our collaborative efforts to make Virginia Tech a great place to work.
We will model the way for a respectful and innovative work environment by being faithful to our values of engagement, collaboration, integrity, service excellence, and inclusiveness.
Employees in the Virginia Tech Department of Human Resources will play a leadership role in creating a great place to work— in our own office and with our employee community.
Goals and Objectives
Goal One (Recruitment): Compete for top talent with effective recruitment strategies, efficient recruitment processes, and an attractive total rewards package.
- Put recruitment model in place to support AP and staff recruitment
- Consult with search committees, hiring managers, HR partners, and central HR to serve as a resource in ensuring equity in the hiring process
- Continue to promote Virginia Tech as a great place to work and a great place to live
- Document and broadly communicate available recruiting services and hiring options to support faculty and staff hiring
- Identify and recommend opportunities for improving the overall total rewards package for our employees
Goal Two (Inclusive Excellence): Commit to the principle of inclusive excellence to help create an environment where employees of all backgrounds can thrive.
- Collaborate with relevant departments to provide education and training on issues related to equity, compliance, inclusion, and diversity
- Identify institutional barriers to compliance for EO/AA requirements and collaborate and consult for removing those barriers
- Provide oversight for the elimination of physical barriers that deny access to individuals with disabilities
- Support institutional diversity and inclusion initiatives through data for decision making, compliance oversight, policy updates, and strategic collaboration and support about programming and direction
- Identify and recommend a Learning Management System purchase to support compliance and professional development training tracking
- Provide leadership, coordination, and oversight to ensure the university understands its compliance responsibilities as it relates to all areas of equal opportunity and affirmative action
Goal Three (Retention): Improve employee retention by leading efforts for adoption of strategies which create a great work climate.
- Build community through employee resource groups by exploring groups for veterans and young professionals
- Deepen and strengthen consultative relationship with senior leaders and HR partners to support change initiatives
- Institutionalize climate data as a standard metric to gauge progress over time
- Provide additional avenues for alternative dispute resolution to ensure equitable approaches for all employees to resolve workplace conflict
Goal Four (Talent Development): Support the talent development of our employees through professional and career development.
- Implement new supervisory development program designed for newly promoted supervisors or new Virginia Tech supervisors
- Implement a Train the Trainer certification program to expand professional development expertise at Virginia Tech
- Introduce training tracks for professional development at various employee levels
- Identify opportunities to develop online and distributed learning resources, especially for the Diversity Development Institute
- Create promotional and career enhancement opportunities through developing policies for department and university-only postings, non-competitive promotional actions, and search exemptions for staff.
- Develop a comprehensive communications plan to market professional development opportunities
- Systematically review the performance evaluation process for administrative and professional faculty and staff
- Review and develop a new leadership competency model
Goal Five (Work-Life Harmony and Wellness): Promote the achievement of work-life harmony and wellness in our employee community.
- Assess the ongoing need for more dependent care options (child, parent, domestic partner)
- Complete and analyze health and welfare longitudinal data on Virginia Tech employee population and develop programs in line with analytical findings
- Establish comprehensive and well-rounded family leave policies to include all generations
- Support the development of a Well-Being University Initiative to serve both employees and students
- Provide opportunities and resources for wellness professionals to complete wellness coaching certification programs in order to offer individual and group coaching to employees
Goal Six (Value Added HR): Deliver HR services, programs, and communications that add value for our prospective employees, current employees, and retirees.
- Formalize HR toolkit of support services for global HR initiatives
- Define and communicate HR service model for administrative and professional faculty
- Assess off campus needs for programming related to HR issues
- Consult with appropriate areas to develop a system in support of case management and reporting
- Implement a competitive bid process for a talent management system to insure talent management, position descriptions, and on-boarding meets institutional needs
- Develop a systematic approach to leverage technology, streamline HR processes, and eliminate paper using innovative technologies
- Expand self-service directly related to benefits