Human Resources Mission
We provide a positive HR service experience for applicants, employees, and retirees and collaborate with departments to recruit, develop, support, and retain diverse and talented employees who are the key to Virginia Tech’s reputation and success.
Human Resources Vision
We deliver Human Resources programs and services with such quality and expertise that campus departments gain a competitive advantage from our collaborative efforts to make Virginia Tech a great place to work.
HR Strategic Plan Goals and Objectives
Goal One: Promote and enhance our competitive total rewards package to recruit and retain top talent.
- Create a total rewards message to educate HR partners, hiring managers, and recruits on the total value of the Virginia Tech employment package
- Work closely with management to reinforce the need for competitive compensation for individuals Virginia Tech wishes to attract and retain
- Fine tune benefits package within the Virginia higher education restructuring framework
- Focus on retirement planning and support for current and retired employees
- Define a minimum level of employee educational benefit across all senior management areas
Goal Two: Support the talent development of our employees through professional development, career development, and improved performance management.
- Invest in professional development programs to improve leadership capabilities, job skills, and employee productivity
- Develop comprehensive career management tools, job enrichment strategies, and mentoring programs to help employees prepare for new opportunities
- Provide organizational consulting services to all senior management areas to spur improved organizational and individual performance
Goal Three: Promote the achievement of work-life balance and wellness in our employee community.
- Expand the use of flexible work arrangements through greater supervisory and employee awareness about the potential benefits to employees and departments
- Inform employees about the importance of education, awareness, self-care, and behavioral change in improving wellness and productivity
- Collaborate with individuals and departments, both on and off campus, to deliver a broader range of wellness programs and services for improved physical and mental health
- Assess the ongoing need for more child-care options based on analysis of local supply and demand
Goal Four: Deliver HR services, programs, and communications which are highly valued by our prospective employees, current employees, and retirees.
- Target employee communications more effectively to meet employee information needs
- Leverage technology to streamline HR service processes and improve access to employee information
- Define HR’s customer service promise and assess and improve customer satisfaction to a common standard through regular surveys
- Develop HR scorecard for central HR and senior management areas as an overall assessment and improvement tool
- Plan new office location so that it provides a productive work environment for improved service and program delivery
Goal Five: Foster a diverse, inclusive community with a positive work environment.
- Develop a “Building a Better Work Environment” curriculum for supervisors
- Conduct regular organizational climate assessments and collaborate with senior managers to improve the campus work climate
- Partner with the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, senior managers, and department heads to promote and uphold our Principles of Community
- Educate the campus community on the prevention of harassment and discrimination and productive ways to resolve conflict
- Insure we promote our commitment to diversity and non-discrimination through our actions and in our outreach and employee recruitment efforts
- Assess and address reasons why talented people leave the Virginia Tech employee community
Goal Six: Compete for top talent with effective recruitment strategies and efficient recruitment processes.
- Identify more proactive recruiting solutions for staff and AP faculty positions
- Build relationships with senior management areas by assigning them staffing specialists and developing recruitment strategies focused on their recruitment priorities
- Improve employee onboarding experience through three month check-up
- Design and implement a central hiring procedures portal for managers to use when hiring all job types
- Provide search support for AP faculty searches upon request